About meNovember 27, 2019 2020-07-09 17:53
Unlike many other business consultants or advisors, I have real life experience of starting and growing my own businesses.
As a child I was always trying to make money because my family didn’t have any. I didn’t get pocket money so I made my own. I washed cars, braided hair, and babysat children. I didn’t know it then but I was already demonstrating entrepreneurial skills. Whilst at University I continued capitalising on opportunities. I organised events as the president of a society and would secure sponsorship from local, national and even international brands. Sometimes, if I was donated products I would sell them for extra revenue.
Within 12 months of completing University I started my first business and began a Masters in Creative Enterprise. The business was a social enterprise dedicated to providing training and development opportunities for disadvantaged youths. The commercial side of the business coordinated events for corporate clients. The business grew very quickly to 8 members of staff. This was primarily from securing large amounts of funding back to back. However, I quickly realised that the business was not sustainable. Too much of our income was funded and not enough generated from commercial activity. The business was also heavily reliant on me which made it incredibly vulnerable.
Recognising these issues, I began implementing a strategy to try and resolve them. This resulted in me seeking investment to take on new staff to focus on management and sales. During this time I tried to access a variety of different business consultants and coaches. None of them had run a business and therefore I did not find them relatable in anyway. They were able to give me academic answers but couldn’t relate to the daily challenges I was facing.
Unfortunately, the investment was postponed at the very last minute. Due to my personal circumstances at the time, after 8 years of running it, I chose to sell the business. That process taught me so much about business. What to do and most importantly what not to do.
Shortly after selling my business I started my MBA specialising in advanced topics in strategy and entrepreneurship. The MBA provided me with the theoretical frameworks to really truly understand business from an academic perspective. Whilst studying I realised that I wanted to help other business owners who, like me when I started my first business, may have had the passion but didn’t necessarily have the know-how. I launched She’s the Boss to provide the business support that I had needed when starting and growing my business. To help other women in business build sustainable, profitable businesses by helping them to Think Big, Take Action and Keep Pushing.
I am good at what I do because I employ a multi method approach. I combine the supportive nature of mentoring with the accountability of coaching and the business tools of consulting to provide 360 degree business support.
All my interventions are underpinned by my 3 Step Framework:
1. Think Big – Generating the ambitious goals and vision required to provide you with a succinct direction for you and your business.
2. Take Action – Providing you with the tools, resources and knowledge required to guide you on the journey, generate results and move you closer to your vision.
3. Keep Pushing – Providing you with the support, networks and accountability to ensure that you overcome challenges and don’t give up on the process.
I won’t provide you with the answers. I will help you to work out the answers for yourself. I focus on developing you as the entrepreneur or business leader so that long after I am gone, you are equipped with the skills, resources and mindset to continue to build your current business or a completely new one.
I get results because I am straight talking and direct. I hold you accountable to doing what you say that you are going to and I don’t accept excuses. Because of this I only work with people who are truly serious about achieving success.
As tough as I can be, I also have a sense of humour and I am incredibly supportive. I want you to win I don’t want to break you.
I have an extensive network of contacts that I utilise to provide you with any additional support or assistance that you may require. From Graphic Designers and Web Developers to Photographers and Copy Writers.
My key areas of speciality:
– Compelling visions and action plans
– Self-sustainability through systems and process mapping
– Financial Management
– Creative Marketing
I have created my own tools as well as utilising existing and trusted tools including Blue Ocean Strategy, Business Model Canvas and Value Proposition Canvas.
“Everyone’s calling themselves a business coach or consultant these days, aren’t they?”
I hear this statement a lot. I didn’t just wake up one day and qualify myself to start supporting businesses and entrepreneurs. I have put in the work to make sure I have the knowledge and experience to add value to your business:
1. I have a Masters in Media Enterprise, (Commendation) from Birmingham City University – This taught me how to start and run a creative businesses
2. I have an MBA (Distinction) from Aston Business School specialising in advanced strategy and entrepreneurship – This taught me about all things business and strategy including lots of useful frameworks and methodologies.
3. I am a graduate and alumni of the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Business Programme – This taught me about how to scale a small business effectively.
4. I am an Unltd Big Venture Challenge Winner – This taught me about investment readiness and scaling a social enterprise
5. I ran my own business for 8 years before having to sell it – The lessons learnt from this are too much to list but primarily it taught me the importance of having a business that is not reliant on the founder.
6. I have completed the Get on Board Corporate Governance Programme – This taught me all about governance.
7. I have completed the ILM Level 3 Certificate in First Line Management – This taught me, you guessed it….how to manage effectively.
8. I have successfully provided business and personal development interventions to a vast array of clients who would all recommend me – This has taught me that my methods and approach works.
f you don’t believe me, have a read of what my clients have to say.